Our bodies are made up of around 60% of water. Water is of huge importance to our overall health and wellbeing. Most people have experienced dehydration, the symptoms of which include headache, dizziness, fatigue and poor concentration.
Although water requirements vary from person to person, depending on age, body size, activity level etc, we generally need to drink approximately 30ml per 1kg of body weight to maintain hydrated. Another rule of thumb is to drink enough water so that your urine is almost clear.
But have you considered what’s in the water you drink, and that water can be harmful as well as beneficial?
Like food, when it comes to water, quality really matters. Water looks the same, whether it comes out of a tap or out of a good quality water filter, but chemical elements that you ingest with your water have a direct impact on your health.
So is tap water good or bad for you?
According to the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines: “drinking water should ideally be, clear, colourless, and well aerated with no unpalatable taste or odours. It should contain no suspended matter, harmful chemical substances or pathogenic micro-organisms”. Despite these guidelines our water supply at the point of consumption has many undesirable qualities.
- Fluoride which, paradoxically, can cause dental fluorosis. It also displaces calcium in the bones, thereby making it more brittle and increasing the risk of osteoporosis and hip fractures. Fluoride also adversely affects thyroid function so, if you have hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s disease, you should avoid fluoridated tap water.
Chlorine is added to our tap water to kill any bacteria present which may be harmful. When we drink tap water this chlorine acidifies the body and kills our beneficial gut bacteria as well, and can result in poor digestion and immunity. When combined with organic matter in tap water, it becomes carcinogenic. Like fluoride, chlorine also hampers thyroid function by displacing iodine. So, again, if you have a thyroid condition like Hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s you definitely shouldn’t be drinking tap water. If you live in the Melbourne area, you may have noticed that the water really stinks of chlorine – every few months they add more in.
- Aluminium, which has been linked Alzheimer’s disease and osteomalacia, a softening of the bones.
- Lead which affects every organ in the body and especially affects children. Adverse health effects include poor physical and mental development in children, anti-social behaviour, learning / behavioural disorders and hearing loss.
- Copper which, even in low doses, may cause fatigue, irritability, headache, muscle twitches and joint pain.
- Plastic fibres and nanoparticles which not only may disrupt the hormone balance in the body, but also attract bacteria, harmful pathogens and toxic chemicals.
- Bacteria & Protozoa – Examples include E.Coli, Coliforms, Cryptosporidium and Giardia, Even chlorine can’t kill these guys.
- Cadmium – Accumulates in the body over a long period & may cause stomach cramps, kidney & liver damage.
- Nitrate – Linked to the use of fertilizers & or sewage contamination. Nitrate reacts with other chemicals & forms Nitrite within the digestive tract. It can then go on to form carcinogens.
- Pesticides and Chemicals – Many of these originate from pesticides, weed killers, commercial & domestic waste.
- Pharmaceuticals – Include pharmaceutical drugs, ingredients in cosmetics, food supplements, other personal care products associated with recycled water and many other chemicals we may not be aware of.
Most store-bought carbon water filters only reduce a small number of contaminants, rather than eliminating them altogether and alkalising your water.
To support the health of myself and my family, I use a good quality water filter and recommend that my clients do the same. I have seen dramatic changes in clients’ health just by switching from tap water to clean water.
If you are unable to install an osmosis water filter, I recommend the ALPS bench top water filter:
- Has a 10 stage filtration system including ceramic, silver activated carbon, zeolite, silica sand, mineral sand, ion exchange resin, infra-red ceramic balls, mineral stones and a magnetic water faucet.
- Removes 99.9% of fluoride
- Removes all impurities
- Is easy to maintain
- One of the best investments you can make into you and your family’s health
Click here to read more about the ALPS water filter. I offer a discount off RRP.